Social icons

Art Review: Alexander McQueen Print

Wednesday 7 March 2018

I know realize that the writing of my thesis is orientating me more and more when it comes to my personal taste. I tend to go a little bit further away from art, to get closer to the beauty that can come out of a fashion creation. It is such a shame, the way we do not consider fashion designers enough. We see them as craftsman, talented for sure, but not artists. To be, this is becoming weirder and weirder as I go further in my research. The other day, while looking at some of Alexander McQueen's works, I stumbled upon this drawing, turned into a wallpaper for the Met exhibition 'Savage Beauty'. When looking at the garments he created, I must admit, I never took enough time to observe the details of his prints. I know realize this was a big mistake. When I see this drawing, I am now conscious of the artistic talent that is needed to create such a piece. And here I do not talk only about the technical aspect of the drawing, but also of its topic and figures. How strange and confusing, how beautiful and scary at the same time. There was a whole universe behind the clothes that he created, it was much more than just garments. Yet I needed a drawing, a classical art medium, to understand that. 

xo

Amy

Post a Comment